Limitless Worlds

Limitless Worlds

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Changing Guardinals

A majestic leonal. Image from Wizards of the Coast
In the upcoming bestiary (or perhaps planar supplement), I decided to add in a few things. One example is the rest of the guardinals, called the kherubim in B&T. These guys are the neutral good outsiders; they take the form of wise humanoid animals, and I've always found them to be quite cool.

Of course, I can't infringe on copyright, so they had to be modified. Here is what happened.

The cervidal, which was once basically a celestial satyr, is still the cervidal. However, my cervidal is more based on a moose than a satyr. Cervidae is, after all, the family that moose belong under. Also, goats are more related to cows than deer, so perhaps a better name for the original would be a caprinal. Oh well.

The equinal is now the bovinal, who, instead of having horse features, has features of an ox. Oxen are pretty terrifying actually, but I hope I am not intruding on minotaur territory. I've always thought of minotaurs being more like a cow than an ox, though.

The lupinal is now the crocinal, which is a humanoid crocodile. My university's mascot is an alligator, so this one kind of holds a soft spot for me. Also, I thought I'd throw in a reptile into the overwhelmingly mammalian party. My other possibility was a dolphinal, which would have been orca-like.

Finally, the ursinal is now the pachinal, who is a Ganesha-like elephant being. Bears are wise, elephants are wise, so the path was easy to follow. Besides, the Warden Archons are already bear enough. Two bear celestials? Come on.


No comments:

Post a Comment