Limitless Worlds

Limitless Worlds

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Basic 4e - Classes and Races

So, I guess I'm going to work on Basic 4e, because it seems like a fun thing to do. I know it seems as if every day I'm getting farther away from Pulpwood!, but it's always at the back of my mind. This project, however, seems somewhat short term.

So in thinking about how races and classes would be constructed, I worried how to take everything in a class and distill it down into a few core aspects. I also worried that the races were just not interesting enough.

However, I have come up with a solution in the form of Gamma World!

The latest Gamma World, which is technically 7th Edition, uses a reduced 4e as its base. It also has what I see as an elegant solution to the race/class problem.

In Gamma World, each character has two origins which grant them 3 powers each. They can choose from these powers as they level up, choosing either one origin or the other.

Why not do this with Basic 4e? Each race and class could have an ability, a power with some kind of variable usage or even a small boost, and they can choose a race ability or class ability at certain benchmarks. In between, they can gain things such as generic powers and stat boosts.

How Paragon Paths and Epic Destinies will play into this, I'm not sure. I'm also uncertain on how to flesh out some races, such as humans, but we'll have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment