Limitless Worlds

Limitless Worlds

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Basic 4e

So I've been throwing around the idea of making a B/X adaptation for 4e.

You may be asking, "Why is this needed? Do we need another clone/heartbreaker?" Well, it's not and we don't, but that won't stop me.

Why do I want to do this? Because I really like the ideas of 4e, but I don't always like the execution of them. The classes and races are fantastic and flavorful, but they can turn into power bloat later on. The combat system is interesting, but it takes too long to get anything done. B/X had a simple and fast system, but is often lacking in terms of pure, high fantasy flavor.

So what would be in this game?

The 17 4e base races and 20 of the base classes (no seeker or runepriest, as I think those are either too boring or too derivative of the ranger, respectively). They would actually be built in race-as-class with an optional rules set to separate them.

Classes would be simple, having only one or two basic abilities that get better over time. This would be something like the barbarian's rage, the shaman's spirit companion or the bards songs. Same goes for races.

There would be powers, but instead of codified powers, there would be a power creation system. This may be difficult to pull off, but it would for sure be interesting.

Skills and feats are still up in the air, but if they are in the game, they will be much reduced.

I also want to include paragon paths and epic destinies, but I am unsure how to do this currently.

It certainly is interesting and could be a fun project to pursue. I'll keep you updated

1 comment: