Limitless Worlds

Limitless Worlds

Saturday, July 13, 2019

Mohawks & Mirrorshades: Classes Thoughts

So originally I was going to post an entry about classes and that I thought I had my selected classes down, but after going back and forth I've kind of encountered a dilemma.

I think I am going to go the four class route, and I like the old-school design of a combat focused person, a stealth/skill focused person, a support person, and a utility/magic person. Combat is going to be relegated to the Mercenary and magic to Netrunners.

However, the support and skill groups are still up in the air. I have two different approaches: the first is the current idea, which is having the Professional and the Technician. The Technician as of right now is kind of a cleric, with their turn undead being drone control and their powers being devices.

The issue I currently have is while this doesn't limit the Technician, it does limit the Netrunner. Since I'm going to be scrapping some Wizard spells that don't make sense in a Netrunning aspect (like Fly or Water Breathing), it'll leave the Netrunner less versatile when the Technician could do all those things through devices. Basically the Technician becomes a better 'spellcaster' than the Netrunner would be.

That's why I'm inclined to scrap the Technician and treat it as a background, and instead replace the Technician with a Face-type character - still support oriented, but not a healer and with no access to spells (aka programs). I'd transfer the rigging ability over to the Netrunner, and basically separate the Professional into a thief-focused role and another in a more social-focused role. That way Netrunners are the only 'casters' in the game and thus have a nicer suite of powers to select.

Any thoughts or opinions on this would be much appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment