Limitless Worlds

Limitless Worlds

Thursday, June 25, 2020

Age of Iron Update

Hello all, hope everything is going as good as it can in our modern age (which is saying a lot, sadly). I'm here with some updates about Age of Iron!

Sadly, the update is I've somewhat hit a wall. I look at the earliest files for the setting (back when it was called the 300 Years War), and I realize I've been working on this thing for nearly two years. Which isn't expressly bad, but the amount of work I've put in isn't nearly close enough to legitimize two years of work.

It has basically fueled a drive in me to get rid of the damn thing - not trash it, but get it to as close as a publishable form as I can get it. Which kind of results in my analyzing the content and seeing what I can drop or alter.

I'm starting to see the merit of a more 'regional' setting instead of trying to cover the whole world. Blue Rose's Aldea, Warhammer's Old World, Kings of War's Mantica, Forgotten Realm's Sword Coast, Dragon Age's Thedas, The Witcher's Continent, Warmachine's Iron Kingdoms and many other settings pack their entire narrative into concentrated regions - leaving the rest of the world implied or vaguely described.

This solves a lot of issues I was running into, such as unfamiliarity/lack of expertise with non-Western nations, trying to compact global religions into a few broad archetypes, and making the scope too 'epic' for a dark fantasy game.

I've been trying to figure out how to best progress with this change, but any opinions or guidance ya'll can offer regarding it would be much appreciated

No comments:

Post a Comment